Tuesday 28 February 2012

Chicken and Black Bean Quesadillas


OMG.  Tonight I made the most delicious dinner.  It was fabulous, it was healthy, and it was easy!

A little over a month ago, I made my first attempt at freezer cooking.  Since it was my first try, I didn't want to run around gathering recipes and doing calculations and all of that nonsense.  I found a website that had one woman's entire freezer cooking day, with ingredients, lists (I love a good list!) and super easy instructions.

One of the recipes on her list is Chicken and Black Bean Chili.  I'm not usually a huge fan of chili, but I figure it can be a good thing to make for lunches on the days that I work, and maybe I could use it for other things.

Well today is that day. Today I just took one of the bags out, let it defrost and made tonight's yummy dinner!

Chicken and Black Bean Quesadillas
1/4 of Chicken and Black Bean Chili recipe (see below)
8 Tortilla shells
3 Red, yellow and/or orange peppers, sliced
1 Tbsp Fajita Seasoning
1 cup grated cheddar cheese


Simmer the chili on the stove to reduce some of the liquid in the mixture.

Saute some peppers. Set aside the peppers for a few minutes. 

In the same pan as the peppers, spray pan with Pam.  Place a tortilla into the pan, place a few peppers on top (I used a whole bunch, they are my favorite!), top with a good scoop of the chili, and some grated cheddar cheese.  Put another tortilla on top.

When the bottom tortilla has browned a little, carefully flip the entire stack of yummy goodness over, trying to contain all of the filling ingredients  (it's tough!).

Once the other side of the quesadilla has browned a little and all of the cheese is delicious and melty, slide it onto your plate and enjoy!

Chicken and Black Bean Chili

The recipe makes 4 - 4 cup servings of chili, which I packaged in freezer bags and stacked in my freezer.

4 chicken breasts - boiled & shredded
56oz tomato sauce
30oz black beans
30oz corn
2 onions - diced
4 stalks of celery

A few big tablespoons of Fajita Seasoning (or you could use 2 packets chili seasoning)
garlic

Chop everything up, throw it in a pot/crock pot and let it simmer for an hour or two.


Bon Appetit!!

2 comments:

  1. This looks yummy and so easy to make. Thanks Rachel, I will make this for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...