Monday 2 April 2012

Homemade Toffee Recipe

There is a fundraising bake sale at work this week, so tonight I spent my night in the kitchen. I baked six chocolate cakes, three banana loaves, 8 mini banana loaves, and a couple of trays of toffee. Buttery, chocolate covered, glorious toffee.

I got the recipe from my neighbour, who makes all manner of delicious, sugary treats for the rest of us on the street. Check out her blog, she's got some awesome recipes too!

I doubled Melissa's recipe, and it made two cookie sheets of toffee, which packaged into 20 individual bags of toffee for sale at the bake sale. With only five ingredients, it is super easy to make and it is DELICIOUS!!

Toffee Recipe

Ingredients
2 sleeves of saltine crackers
2 cups butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
4 cups chocolate chips

Instructions


Preheat oven to 400F. Line cookie sheet foil and spread with a single layer of saltine crackers.

In a saucepan combine the sugar and the butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes.
Immediately pour over saltines and spread to cover crackers completely.
Bake at 400F for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Let sit for 5 minutes. Spread melted chocolate over the top with an offset spatula.
Cool completely (I put the trays in the freezer for half an hour) and break into bite sized pieces.

Once the toffee was broken into bite sized pieces, I filled clear pretzel-sized treat bags with the toffee, and tied them with ribbon for the bake sale.

Hopefully it's a big seller at the bake sale!

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh I love toffee! Looks great. I am on a diet and it makes me sad that I can't eat yummy things like this.... This is my first visit to your blog!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...