Sunday 2 September 2012

Tex Mex Breakfast Burritos (Freezer Meal)

Earlier this year I made a big batch of tex-mex style breakfast burritos, and they turned out fantastic. I decided to make another batch this week and put them in the freezer for quick and easy breakfasts on the go.
I enlisted my friend, and once the kids were snug in their beds got to work making a month’s worth of breakfast wraps! I found a great recipe for these on Once A Month Mom (an awesome site devoted to big batch cooking) and made a few changes to the ingredients to suit our taste.
This recipe made 35 regular tortillas filled with breakfast wrapped goodness, but would have made about 40 (too bad I ran out of tortillas!!). We had the leftovers the next morning over English muffins, so delicious!
Tex Mex Breakfast Burritos
Ingredients
1 – 1kg package hash brown potatoes
36 eggs (or the equivalent in Egg Beaters – a 16 ounce package of Egg Beaters = 8 eggs)
1/2 cup butter, divided
36 -40 flour tortillas
2 - 15 ounce cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups onion, chopped
6 cups bell pepper, chopped
2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cups Jalapeno Jack cheese, shredded
2 tsp garlic powder (I use this, it's awesome)
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
Instructions
In one pan, melt ¼ cup butter and cook package of hash brown potatoes until desired consistency is reached (for me, that’s golden and crispy).
In another pan, combine the eggs, onion, peppers, salt and pepper. If using whole eggs, gently whisk the eggs before cooking. When the eggs are cooked to your satisfaction, remove from heat.
At this stage, when making big batch meals, I break out my massive turkey roasting pan. It’s a great size for mixing big batches of ingredients together without filling multiple bowls and trying to mix everything evenly.
In your big bowl or turkey roasting pan, mix together the eggs & peppers mixture, the hash browns and the two cans of black beans (drained and rinsed) Mix well.
This time when I made the burritos, I added the cheese at this stage. I won’t be doing that next time; it made it a little gloopy when scooping the egg mixture into the tortillas.
Lay out your tortillas in a big line, or all over your countertop, or table or whatever works for you. 
Scoop a heaping 1/3 cup of filling onto each tortilla, sprinkle with cheese and start wrapping!
Wrap the completed burritos individually in wax paper, and place in a large freezer bag. 
When it’s time to eat them, remove from the wax paper, place on a piece of paper towel and microwave for 1 ½ to 2 minutes. Serve with salsa or ketchup, and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. Very good. I did not have garlic powder but they taste awesome. I did a third of the recipe, since only 2 of us here will be eating them, and I had the large tortillas which I was actually able to do a half cup of mix in each tortilla. I added the cheese as a sprinkle as suggested, before rolling. Delish, looking forward to grabbing these from the freezer.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...