Wednesday 8 January 2014

Yummy Mummy Oatmeal (Homemade Oatmeal Packets)


Hi Everyone! Look at this – two posts in a week! Yippee! Good start to 2014!

I have lamented the pickiness of my older daughter’s eating habits many times here on this blog, but there is one food that she absolutely LOVES and will eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner if you let her. What, pray tell, is this amazing wonder-food that will fill her up and make her happy all the live-long day? O-A-T-M-E-A-L!

I used to buy the pre-packaged oatmeal packets (hopefully on sale!) but I found them to be quite expensive. When your child wants to eat 2 packages at a time, this can be an expensive breakfast option!

I remember seeing a post on one of the money-saving blogs I follow (MrsJanuary.com) for homemade oatmeal packets. I have been making the oatmeal this way for over a year now, and my girls just love it. I love that I know exactly what is in the bowl, and that it costs less than the pre-packaged oatmeal – win-win!

You could add absolutely any toppings to this oatmeal to personalize it and make it your own- blueberries, apples, bananas, anything really. My girls don’t like “chunks” in their oatmeal, so we drizzle a little sugar-free maple syrup in the bowl for a maple/brown sugar oatmeal. The possibilities are endless – enjoy!!

Yummy Mummy Oatmeal
Recipe from MrsJanuary.com


Ingredients

5 cups Quick Oats
1/3 cup Skim Milk Powder
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 ½ tbsp. cinnamon
This recipe is so easy, Miss A can mix it up herself!!

Instructions

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well, and break up any little balls of brown sugar. When all ingredients are well combined, transfer to an airtight storage container.

At breakfast time, place about ¾ cup Yummy Mummy Oatmeal mixture in a bowl and pour approx. ½ cup boiling water over top. Stir to combine. You could also add water and heat in the microwave for 40-60 seconds.

Add any extras! We drizzle ours with a swirl of sugar-free maple syrup. Grab a spoon and enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by to read today! I hope you enjoyed this recipe!



I will hopefully be linking this recipe up to A Bowl Full of Lemonsand Joyful Homemaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...